The Hillside Bar and Beach Bar (consists of three small bars: Paddler's Paradise, Oasis and Cabin) are two of the busiest areas on site, where patrons purchase alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. All Bar volunteers: Cashiers, Pourers, and Servers, must report to their Team Leader and/or Bar Supervisor at the assigned bar, 15 min. before shift starts. Bar Cashiers will then proceed as directed by Team Leader and/or Bar Supervisor. Advise Team Leader or Supervisor if taking a break during or leaving at the end of a shift. In an EMERGENCY, proceed as instructed by the Team Leader or Supervisor. Please avoid alcohol consumption at least 90 min. before your shift.
Responsibilities of the Pourers
- Lay out beer cans for servers; pour coolers and wines into cups only when purchases are confirmed
- Alert supervisor when stocks are low
- When not busy, assist other pourers to open cans, help restock products and wine or cooler cups, and keep work area clean
- Clean and sanitize table tops, at the start and end of a shift, along with tidying the bar area
Responsibilities of the Servers
- Work co-operatively with assigned Cashiers to ensure rapid, courteous service. Hand over drinks to patrons only after Cashier OK’s transaction
- Smart Serve certification desirable, not essential; monitor patrons’ conduct and degree of inebriation; share observations discretely with Cashier
- Draw potential Smart Serve or other infractions to Cashier or Bar Supervisors’ attention, in a timely manner
Collective Nightly Goal for Pourers, Servers: minimize loose alcoholic beverages in the bar; transfer all alcoholic products to locked storage. Clean up bar area, wipe tables clean, collect and place all empties and trash outside bar front. Assist Supervisor to properly close the bars.
Responsibilities of the Cashiers
- Must be Smart Serve certified; carry out duties as instructed by Supervisor
- Sell alcohol in the two bar areas only during operating hours to patrons wearing valid ID bracelet and who purchase drinks with cash
- Check for valid ID if patron appears to be 30 years old or younger, or issue ID bracelet if required
- Alert Supervisor to Smart Service violations, or safety issues
- Handle money, make correct change, monitor cash box in secure and alert manner; never leave cash box unattended
- Request Supervisor to obtain change or skim cash box when required, discretely
- Strictly enforce limit of 2 alcoholic drinks per patron per serving, including any drinks a patron is consuming
Using cell phones / personal devices, and consuming food in the bar is prohibited during a shift. ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION BY VOLUNTEERS ON DUTY WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE, PERMANENT TERMINATION OF VOLUNTEER PRIVILEGES AND REMOVAL FROM FESTIVAL SITE
Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival, officially joined IDBP (International Dragon Boat Professional L ...Read more...
Stay In Touch
Sign up for our newsletter and stay up to date with the latest information about the festival.